Cyberpunk 2077 was only 4 years in development, although it was announced 8 years ago
Jason Schreier, one of the most important journalists of the game world, revealed new details about the development process of the game after meeting with Cyberpunk 2077 developers.
- 16-01-2021 14:12
Cyberpunk 2077, published and developed by CD Projekt Red, was released last month. The game had many problems in its release and has managed to stay on the agenda with different events every day since then. A few days ago, one of the company's founders, Marcin Iwinski, posted a video and apologized to the gamers.
A few hours ago, Jason Schreier, one of the most important names in the game press, published an article on Bloomberg. Jason Schreier collected what he could explain from his conversations with more than 20 current and former CD Projekt Red employees. There are really incredible situations in them. You can find the highlights from the article below. You can find the article itself here.
- Although CD Projekt developers were told that hard work would not be necessary, developers have felt pressure on this issue for years.
- The same situation that BioWare believed was BioWare Magic before releasing Anthem also happened with CD Projekt. The company said, "We've made The Witcher 3 and we'll take care of that." said. In short, they believed in the magic of CD Projekt.
- Experienced developers from other companies were very surprised by the disorganized development process of CDPR.
- A developer has told the managers that he doesn't want to do extra work. One of the managers said, "OK, no problem." another friend said, "Another friend will have to work harder to do what you didn't do." said. There are several other developers who have told this story.
- Many non-Polish developers working at the company were pressured by other employees. Combined with low salaries and other troubles, many non-Polish developers had to quit.
- Many people thought developers were rich last year when CDPR said it would share 10% of revenue with employees. But Adrian Yakubiak, who started as a tester in 2015, earned $ 400 a month. In 2018, he was making $ 700 a month as a young programmer.
- The content part of Cyberpunk 2077 has changed greatly in the last 10 years. The game was conceived as a third-person game until 2016. In the beginning, there will be events such as wall running and flying cars in the game. However, as the process progressed, the game changed.
- The reason the police system in Cyberpunk 2077 is so bad is that everything was done at the last minute.
- Many developers could not understand why they made both an RPG and a GTA style game.
- Cyberpunk 2077 was announced 8 years ago, but it really started developing in 2016. In 2018, they were able to make a demo that was mostly fake. A lot of time has been lost from the development process of the game in order to make this demo.
- Most of the staff knew it wouldn't catch up to 2020, but management relied on the magic of CD Projekt.
- Most developers thought the game would be released in 2022.